Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I don't want to have a fashion blog anymore...

I was just whining to my boyfriend about how I don't know what to do. "I need you to talk to me," I said. "Ok, what do you want to talk about?" he asked, eyes focused on the painting he's working on. "I want to talk about.....me." I say it in such a way that makes me crack up two seconds later because it sounded so pathetic and self-obsessed, which I totally am, I guess. Wah.

The thing is, I have a really hard time making decisions. I've been thinking about starting a new blog for a couple of months now. I want to blog about personal opinions and life as opposed to fashion. Don't get me wrong, I love a well-designed jacket or a beautiful blouse as much as the next person, but I can't really wax poetic about them like other bloggers can. The thing is, I want to be a writer. That's my dream. My goal of goals. I want to write about general, broad and universal things about what it means to be alive and human and young and in love and confused and scared. I thought I had decided what to do when I found out about this awesome personal website platform Cargo Collective. All the templates were so pretty I was immediately smitten. Operation: Get a Cargo Collective Account ensued. Trouble was, they were invite-only or else you had to apply. I spent a large portion of my day writing my application. Then, I had the genius idea of just asking my friends on FB if anyone had one. Surely, someone out of the 500 or so friends I have should, right? Someone did (insert "but don't call me Shirley" joke) and I got my very own coveted Cargo Collective account.

I wrote this awesome post right away. I wanted a personal blog. My 'about me' literally says
My name is Nicki Wong. I'm a writer. This blog is where I give my wholly subjective completely personal opinions on life and other stuff.
But then, I started looking around and found that I could not find one single writer on that website. Most of the people on there were graphic designers or illustrators, amazing ones, btw, but not writers. I eventually found one writer. I looked at his posts, he seemed pretty legit, he even had a book published. But he had no comments. There was no social media cache to share any of his posts. (I looked it up and found out that option wasn't available yet. Then I did more research and found out that nobody on Cargo Collective has really any comments on their posts, they mainly serve as beautiful online portfolios). I wanted a blog that I would get feedback from. My favorite thing about blogging is the community, the little mini hub that's created from the ideas and sentiments shared. So, Cargo Collective started to not look like the best platform for me, as a writer.

Then, I thought, why don't I just get a Wordpress? Basically every online magazine I know is a wordpress. But then I got caught up in whether or not I wanted a nickiwong.com or a tropicofunicorn.wordpress.com. I couldn't decide. To make matters worse, I remembered a friend mentioning Webhostingpad. I checked that out and wondered if I should do that or wordpress and was trying to figure out which was cheaper/better. By this time I was super frustrated and an ache had developed in my left shoulder that later turned into a gnawing pain that shot down my elbow and I just couldn't take it anymore.

So this leads me to here. I'm changing too fast to even keep up with myself. I'm super bored and even a little embarrassed by my old posts from my past life as a pseudo fashion blogger. I don't like my layout, it's definitely not as aesthetically inclined as Cargo, but for now, it'll do. I have a new pretty banner than Tim designed (Thanks babe!). I think I'll be happy here. I just need to stop trying to maximize, in other words, trying to find better than what I have (this will be another post in the future) because the grass is always greener.

Now, welcome to my new blog. I love you. Thanks for not leaving. Sorry if I disappointed you. Also, if you're totally bored because I'm not really going to post my outfits anymore, I apologize for that. It's just going to be boring old honest words now with maybe one or two pics. <333


Don't try to have a staring contest with me because I will totally win.

10 comments:

  1. LET THE WRITING COMMENCE! Seriously, I'm really stoked on this and I can't wait to read (more?) schtuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks.
    1990 Plymouth Acclaim AC Compressor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww don't worry, I know exactly how you feel!

    The way I've done it is to have two separate blogs (on blogger)- one where I can blog my fashiony stuff, & the other is my creative outlet for poems etc (don't look though, they're embarrassingly bad lol!)

    If you feel that's too separate though, just make sure you link to them both in your blogger profile- or maybe have both of the names to your blogs in your blog headers? =]

    I hope this helps you- remember to take the changes one step at a time! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I decided in the end to not have two separate blogs. So what if my blog seems to suffer from a sort of bipolar disorder? It shows my progression as an internet being, or something. I don't know. I'm tired, I just got done jumping around playing Kinect...

      Delete
    2. Lol, it's not being bipolar- most people have lots of different topics on one blog, but just separate them using labels/ categories =]

      Delete
    3. You're right. I'm kind of retarded. Labels/categories, that's a really good idea.

      Delete
  4. Hello Niki! Let me preface this by saying I hope this isn't too long. I just found your blog via NastyGal blogger review and I'm in heaven. I just came across this post and while at work...shhh...read the entire thing :) I love it! I was intrigued. I totally understand you! I'v been saying for the past year I'm going to start a blog in which I want to do what i love fashion, write, talk about faith, etc. but then I too get stuck with all the decisions...ahhh....which platform, etc.I just get overwhelmed and do nothing. You have inspired me! By the end of July i will have a blog! There will always be someone out there with a better banner, better design, etc. but no one will be you Nicki! I too, have just been tired of fashion blogs.....thank you for your post and lastly i agree with just labels/categories. Thanks again! p.s. I do have a fashion blog on tumblr www.americagrey.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Nicki - many thanks for this post, very entertaining!
    Like you, i'm trying to get a Cargo Collective account, but don't know anyone who can invite me! I'm a professional graphic designer and love the folio templates that CC have created. I desperately need to get my own folio uploaded as i'm currently looking for a new job! so if you can see you're way to sending me an invite for Cargo id be very grateful. I could even help you out with some small design requirement for your website in return if you can. My email is deadgooddesign@gmail.com.
    All the best :-)

    ReplyDelete